Improving patients' quality of life with innovation
Bayer invests considerable resources in the research and development of new drugs, with the aim of improving patients' quality of life and prolonging lives. We focus on therapeutic areas with a high unmet medical need, areas that require further innovation despite the progress that has been made – as for example in cancer therapy. In this context, Bayer focuses on its core competencies and builds on many years of research experience.
Focus on therapeutic areas with a high unmet medical need
Bayer concentrates the internal drug discovery of active ingredients on five core areas: Cardiovascular Diseases, Oncology, Hematology, Ophthalmology and Gynecology. With new approaches in cancer therapy, cardiovascular diseases and gynecological therapies, we aim to become the innovation leader in these areas.
Research and development highlights
- In 2015 Bayer invested over €2.285 billion in pharmaceutical research and development. This research effort represents 16,6 percent of total sales in the Pharmaceuticals Division.
- About 30 development projects in clinical trials are currently ongoing worldwide.
- More than 50 development projects in clinical trials or approval procedure are currently ongoing worldwide.
- Bayer was awarded the “Deutsche Zukunftspreis” (Germany's most important innovation award) by the German Federal President in 2015 for the development of riociguat and in 2009 for the development of rivaroxaban.
- Bayer invests continuously in expanding its innovative strength. We established “Science and Innovation Hubs” in addition to our pharmaceutical research locations in Berlin, Wuppertal/Cologne, Berkeley, Oslo and Turku:
- U.S. Innovation Center San Francisco (USA)
- Innovation Center China (Beijing)
- Innovation Center Singapore
- Innovation Center Japan
- East Coast Innovation Center, Boston (USA)
- Bayer collaborates with innovative partners from academia and industry in all phases of pharmaceutical research and development. We have strategic partnerships with research institutes such as the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg (Germany), Tsinghua University in Beijing (China) and the Broad Institute in Cambridge (USA), and are actively involved in projects of the European Union's Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI).
Bayer is one of the leading research-based pharmaceutical companies worldwide. As a globally active company we maintain a global network of research and development locations. More than 7,700 researchers around the world focus on improving the health of people at these sites.
In Berlin, we focus our research activities in the therapeutic areas of:
In Wuppertal our research scientists focus on the areas of:
- Common Mechanism Research
Bay Area, California, U.S.A.
In the San Francisco Bay Area, California, Bayer runs research labs that are specialized in the areas of:
The Bay Area is also home to our U.S. Innovation Center, which was established in 2010 and serves as our science hub for research collaborations in the United States.
Our research facility in Oslo, Norway, is specialized in the area of:
- Oncology: Targeted Thorium Conjugates Platform
In Turku, Finland, scientists from our Chemical and Pharmaceutical Development focus on developing:
- Polymer-based drug delivery systems